You want a job that is about more than making money. You want a job that isn't only about the travel, that isn't singularly about what you can get but rather what you can give. You're after a job that is both fulfilling and makes a positive impact.
Well, you're not the only one, and we're here to help!
“At Remote Mission we believe that you have a greater chance of getting the job, and job fulfilment, if you go for a position that is aligned with your own personal mission.”
Founder of Remote Mission, Natalia Komis.
When you're searching for a job you're passionate about, excited by and that is impact driven, ultimately you need to be prepared to put in more time and effort. However, before starting your impact job search, there is one thing you must already have realised for yourself: Your Mission.
What is Your Mission?
So, first things first you need to understand the kind of work you want to do, the impact you want to create, what you want to be doing in the world and how you’re going to do this.
Knowing the impact you want to make is vital. When you know this you can start to focus on companies that create this impact, instead of focusing on jobs based on your current skill set. Find a company or organisation that has a mission that speaks to you. From there you can then see if they have any vacancies or potential positions that interest you and fit your skill set.
Make sure to do your research. When you do find a potential employer's mission statement, which usually is located on the organisation website, there are a some things you should ask yourself, for example:
- What impact do they want to make in the world/community?
- What impact can you make in this organisation?
You should also consider these sorts of questions whenever you are updating your CV, writing a cover letter, or in conversation with an organisation.
If you want your mission to be public make sure to include it on your social media profiles such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn. Make people aware of what you want to be doing!
How to Find the Opportunities Out There?
1. If there is a company or organisation you love and wish were hiring, don’t wait, get in touch with them! Send over your newly revamped CV and Cover Letter clearly explaining why you are getting in touch, and that gives them the evidence that this is what you care about.
2. When you're looking for a job LinkedIn is one of the best resources out there. Companies and organisations hiring will always look for a profile to find out more about you. So make sure your profile is up to date!
3. The difference between any job and a fulfilling remote job is not feeling like you have to do it all in the traditional way. One of the BEST ways to get a remote job especially in the impact space is to pitch yourself.
When you're pitching yourself the additional material you have is what makes the pitch. This could be a traditional portfolio of work or something more creative like a blog post or a podcast. This is a vital aspect as you are giving them proof of who you are straight away. You are showing you care. Also, pitching yourself isn't easy - it takes guts and initiative, and it shows you are willing to put in the work. Employers care about these things.
4. Finally, don’t be afraid! Get out there and try new things. Do it a little bit differently!