In our previous post we shared the 8 key questions to ask yourself before searching for a fulfilling remote job and the importance of a mission statement. But then what? How do you go about your search once you have your mission statement and you have thought about the work you want to do?
Perhaps you’ve struggled in your search or simply aren’t sure how to start, we hope this post will help steer you in the right direction.
In the Go Remote Course, Natalia gives a breakdown of the different ways in which you can find remote work that is aligned with your why. She talks about all the ways in which you can use your mission statement to get noticed by the right people. In truth there are many ways to find work online, job boards being just one.
These are her tops tips and steps on how to start:
- Use your mission statement everywhere – make sure your social media, LinkedIn profile, CV are aligned with it. Update your bio and headlines!
- Tell people what you are looking for. Don’t wait for things to come to you, let people know what it is that you are searching for. You will be surprised to see what being explicit and clear can do!
- Search using keywords related to your Who or What.
- Use relevant Job Boards, Facebook and LinkedIn groups and only apply for relevant jobs! Keep the temptation to apply for any job away, even if it is tough ;)
- Follow the organizations you LOVE (and subscribe to their job alert)
- Follow people who inspire you
- Show up with your mission in mind and create something you can share/send to people you'd love to work with e.g. a blog post, a video, a way to showcase you care!
- Connect/Volunteer/Offer something and build relationships with people you admire or are in your field!
Remember it is all about relationship building, showing you care and are ready for it!
Most people don’t take the steps to get closer to their goal because they are scared, but being proactive and a nice person can help you land opportunities beyond your imagination.
Things to remember as you’re going about your search that are often forgotten:
- Before you say YES, make sure it is aligned to what you really want to be doing - aka it feels GOOD!
- Think about whether you're going to want to be travelling, staying in one place – this can make a big difference in the way you work and how much work you can do!
- Sometimes more traditional jobs require traditional applications - make sure that a google search on you gives some results in your favor!
- Come back to your WHY, all the time! In fact, keep it always in view, on your desk, desktop or fridge and come back to it as often as needed!
- Keep building your network - remote work can be lonely and your network is what is going to make a difference in the long run!
And now GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SEARCH!
If you liked this article and are ready to start your search, download the Discover your Remote Mission Workbook to help you! And then sign up to our free newsletter to get bi-weekly listings of amazing sustainable remote jobs.